Friday 21 June 2013

Signature Dish ...

At about noon today, I received a delightful message together with a photo of a very familiar dish from my DIL. She wrote, "Hi Mama, today I made your signature dish for Mr Hubby ..." And the picture shown was a platter of 'chokodok ikan bilis with sambal kicap!'

I quickly ran to my other half who was watching the television in the lounge and said, "RY, our DIL cooked my signature dish for our son. Looked at the picture she sent. Not bad huh ..." Spontaneously I gave him my iPhone and showed the message plus the photo :D

He smiled and said, "Great, indeed this time he made a right choice ..." And he quickly   continued, "M, for someone who doesn't   know how to cook (yours truly) and to have a signature dish under her name, that was really  something ... " I looked at him and his cynical cheeky smiles with rolled eyes. But, I can never get angry with him ... Instead, we burst into   laughter happily!

As a DS I must confess that I can't cook. In fact, I admit that RY is a good cook and me together with his children love his  cooking. Among others, his lamb stew which is best eaten with the French Bread. Also all the grilled foodies which he cooked over rubber woods the traditional way especially the simple grilled beef or the ikan jenahak bakar! If he cooked these dishes, I could finish a kilo of grilled beef in one go, or the whole grilled   fish in just one helping ... Hi Hi Hi

Anyway, back to the so called signature dish. In actual fact, it is a very simple food known as chokodok which my late Grandmother Nyai loved to prepare for us as tea time foodies. She also prepared a special sambal to dip with each time she prepared the food for us. Since my siblings and I loved to eat them, she passed the recipe to my mother and each time we meet or group together in  my  Mom's home @Happy Village, my Mom will never fail to cook and serve to us the dish!

When I got married, my dear better half knew that I can't cook. But, one day I surprised him with my late Nyai's recipe and served him at tea time. Indeed, he liked them very much especially to eat the chokodok which was made from flour, some anchovies and Bombay onions as well as cut spring onion. Add enough water to the ingredients. But, this chokodok must be deep fried. As for the sambal kicap, to make it more umph to it, add a sprinkle of limau kasturi ;))

Anyway, I am very happy that my DIL could make the 'signature dish' for her husband, which was one of my son's favorite food and the only foodies which fortunately or unfortunately his Mom could only cook for him and her family :( Also, I'm very pleased that my DIL has learnt one of the first lesson or the art of capturing the heart of one's husband is via the food! Bravo DIL :D

To this newly wed, I wish you both the good life and success in every good deeds you do. May Allah SWT protects you throughout the journey of your marriage life. If there are obstacles and hurdles in between the journey, just take it as a test for there is no easy sailing before we could reach the desired destination. In fact, all those tests or challenges will further strengthen your love and relationship and thus make your marriage life more  blissful! 

As a Mother to both of you, my prayers always to the Happy Couple. Enjoy life to the fullest and Live Happily :))

No comments:

Post a Comment