Monday 17 June 2013

Sharing is Caring

I always believe that each person is born unique :)

I may know one thing, but most of the time I don't know many things. And, I think most people do. That is why there is a saying, "we aren't perfect" for as long as we are human. But, what we know, we should share with others and what we don't know, we should learn from the others who know and also willing to share the knowledge with us. In one sentence, it means 'sharing is caring.'

So, as part of my life as a DS in a foreign land, I've never failed to learn new things - be it from colleagues, new found friends or even people on the street. There are many talented persons around us! But, most of the time I learned and acquired new knowledge from the beautiful mind people around me namely my colleagues from different missions who are ever willing to share their know-how with me and my friends.

True enough I was able to learn the art of carving from a caring colleague from Thailand. Although it was not an easy skill to acquire, yet we were able to at least have the knowledge to hold the carving knives - the proper way :D We were intrigued with the carver who was an expert in her field and also her patience to teach us the art. 

Similarly, I was shown how to practice yoga for purposes of good  breathing and posture from an Indian colleague. At the same time, a Palestinian friend showed us the beauty of her country though the various beautifully designed handicrafts that were on put on display when she entertained us over one coffee morning. From the information and  knowledge which were shared by my friends to me, I got to know their countries, their people and their beautiful cultures.

In return, I must also share what I know with them about my beloved country and if I am not able to to do that, I must find a way to do it - perhaps by inviting other people from my country to share what we have in Malaysia to our friends who are thirsty of knowledge to be brought home to their homeland. 

Indeed, I did when in one coffee morning, I show-cased to all my friends about the intricacy and beauty of our Malaysian batik in our residence @Rumah Malaysia in Qurum29. I was fortunate to be assisted by lecturers and students from UiTM to practically show how to chant batik paintings where my friends were able to try the paintings themselves using wax and colours. Indeed, it was not only fun to learn new things, but it was also like a life time experience to most of them which they truly appreciate. In short, since we all care for each other in this blessed land, so we also share with what we know with our friends. 

Below 1: An  article about learning new art from Thailand in the Times of Oman.

Below 2: An article about the Malaysian show and activity in Muscat Daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment