Thursday 20 June 2013

Conversations with Gary ...

I was waiting for my better half to come home from work one sunny afternoon, when I spotted Gary was lazying on a table in the guest's room which among others 'housed' an antique cupboard full of cats' collection. It has been with me for almost 15 years and since then has been part of my sentimental collection which I tagged along to every posting places.

Well, I don't know what Gary was thinking when I spotted him looking at the cupboard. Perhaps he was 'admiring' my collections when I saw him :) or may be he detested my hobby out of envy? Hi hi hi, only Allah SWT knows ...


Anyway, very slowly, I went to Gary and captured a pose of him :) He did not smile but he just looked at me as if saying, "it's ok Ma, go on and click more photos of me ..." So, I began clicking more pictures of him in various styles and positions as if he is a professional 'cat model' and I'm the the 'amateur photographer.'


After I've finished with the few clickings, I held him in my arms and patted him. He became so 'manja' and at times a little 'mengada-ngada' when I began to stroke his grayish head and scratched his whitish neck and throat :D 

While lovingly patting and stroking him, I began to converse with him. I told him how much I loved him and his presence in our house has brought happiness to me and his Dad! Even though  I did not receive any answer verbally from him, but I knew he understood me very well because he 'meowed' back and looked at me into the eyes. His tail swung rapidly as if he replied "I love you too, Mama" and agreed with what I said to him :)

In fact, in a week's time will be his first birthday. So, I asked him what he wants? A new collar? He just looked into my eyes while his paws were scratching my fingers as if saying "No Mama, I don't like collars." Ho Ho Ho, yeah I had forgotten about it. "I'm very sorry my dear," I told him nicely and continued stroking his long grey hair. And, he later licked my fingers.

Indeed, Gary never likes the kitty's collar, even when we put the personalized chartreuse collar on the first day when we took him home in Qurum29 from the pet-shop. He felt so uncomfortable and kept scratching his neck. In the end, we took the collar off and since then we knew that he was very pleased with the 'freedom' ... He ran freely and happily across the room, which is now became his room. 

I later carried Gary to the sofa and  continued with our conversations. I narrated to him about the story of how I started the cats' collection which he stared or gazed widely earlier on. It all began when I was a trailing spouse to Myanmar.  I went to a Charity Fair organized by the British Women Association. There were many things being put on sale. Among others were beautiful British handicrafts and delicious foodies.

But, at one corner of the table, I saw a tall white porcelain 'cat' waiting for someone to take him home. He captured my eyes and heart instantly, and pretty soon he was in my arms and to home-sweet-home in Yangon.  That was how I started collecting 'cats' and since then it has included cats' collection from all over the world which are made of crystals, woods, metals, and etc. Some of them were gifts from my children, closed-friends, in-laws and former students who knew about my 'hobby' :D

Listening to my stories made Gary more 'manja' to me. I would like to think so! Or may be he was bored. I don't know. It is because he did not fidget, instead he kept himself calm and the more I stroked his head, the more his eyes became droopy and eventually he fallen asleep on my lap :)

But, I slowly woke him up when I heard the automatic gate was opened which signaled to me that my better half has arrived home from work. He quickly jumped from the sofa and run towards the door to patiently wait for his Dad to pat him - the routine :)

Anyway, I'm truly blessed with his existence and presence in my home. He gives us laughter with all his antics. Since I set my eyes upon him @Sabco about a year ago, I have fallen in love with his cuteness and mischief. I have chosen him over the others. He was active and the only one playing in the pet cage, while the others were either sleeping or just lazying themselves  in the enclosure. All my thanks and love to Gary who till today has been my wonderful and playful 'son' ... Alhamdulilah.

No comments:

Post a Comment