Saturday 8 June 2013

'Karipap Making' in Kuwait TV

One of the many beautiful memories which still lingers in my mind, during my stay in the Middle East was the Kuwait TV Show on 'Karipap Making' by DI and narrated by me. 

A week before the Life Show began, I was called and lovingly 'summoned' by DI that Kuwait TV wished to show life telecast about Malaysian cuisines to the locals. Thus, during the brainstormings and discussions we came out with many names of Malaysian dishes and desserts which we felt suitable for such shows. 

Of all the many delicious foods that crossed our minds, DI decided that we should show case on how to make the crispy and tasty Malaysian  karipap, which was different from the normal western curry puffs or savory pies. She roped in Sis FM to assist her in making the dough and fillings. She said that she will show case the process of making the karipap to the audiences including the 'mengelim' (the traditional way of putting together and decorating the pastry after inserting the fillings). She will also show the correct method of frying the delicacy. 

However, she insisted that I must be in the program, too and moreover she needed my help to explain to the audiences the ingredients, the methods and the whole process of making the karipap. Since she knew that I can't cook, so she gave me a special task i.e. to memories the recipes and  procedures of how to make the Malaysian homemade styled karipap.  Wooh ... I was sweating :)) But, I did my homework and pray that I won't let her and my beloved nation down.

Indeed, for more than two days, I was  practically   rehearsing the said recipe and procedures of 'karipap making' in front of my mirror. Although I'm used to giving lectures to students, but to narrate and give a talk show about something which was not my forte, did produce some butterflies in my stomach. 

Anyway, all good deeds with good intentions went well as planned. The memorable event took place in  a Five Star Venue. On top of the TV crews, hotel staff, there were many locals who came to watch the Life Show. Although I was a little nervous at first, but once the show started, I narrated the talk show along side DI. Indeed, we were good partners throughout the show with some jokes in between and simple questions and answers flowed well between us and the audiences. Alhamdulilah, it was indeed my first appearance life on TV. Thank You DI for the opportunity and until today, I still vividly remember you and of course our once in a life time show in Kuwait TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment