Sunday 9 June 2013

D'Art of Entertaining

As a new and young DS some twenty years ago, one of the fruitful things which I learnt and as far as possible to emulate from the senior people and colleagues whom I met and mingled amongst the diplomatic corps and other dignitaries was the art of entertaining guests and etiquette. 

The informal surroundings during coffee mornings or hi teas plus the formal environment during receptions or at formal dining together with the settings which were full of etiquettes, procedures and protocols provided ample rooms for a great learning process to me, which I personally of the view could not be acquired solely through books or manuals. 

Either directly or indirectly I absorbed and mesmerized all the knowledge through observations and sometimes through personal conversations with the host. And, as far as possible I tried to apply and implement what I've learned when it was my turn to organize a similar events whether it was at home or other venues away from home. 

Indeed, the art of entertaining and etiquette is pertinent because when we receive or welcome our guests to our home or at our function, it naturally means that we are welcoming them to our country or the Malaysian soil.  We must remember that are we are representing our country when we are out there during the posting period and hence, the upholding of our nation's good name is the utmost important and to be our priority more than our very own interest. 

That is why, it is a common for all DS to undergo Pre-Posting Course before they go for their posting adventures. It is highly recommended also that after sometimes, they undergo refresher course because time lapse, people change, and new thing happens, hence it is always good to be updated on matters relating to people-to-people relationship. In fact, the know how about the art of entertaining and etiquette never stales, instead it will boost more self confidence to oneself and also an asset which will be part of our positive personality.

To those who have guided me and also   shared with me their experiences about this beautiful art, my gratitude and heartiest Thank You for the sharing and I truly believe that when we share, it means we care. Big TQ, my friends ...

No comments:

Post a Comment