Wednesday 12 June 2013

Ingy & Longyi

There is a Malay saying: 'Masuk kandang kambing mengembek; masuk kandang kerbau menguak' which among others gives a meaning that we have to adapt ourselves with the place or environment we are in or being sent to. 

When I was in Yangon, I always wanted to know more about the people and the culture. I was intrigued and very interested in their women's traditional attire namely the ingy (blouse) and longyi (sarong). In a way, this Myanmar dress or clothing has some resemblance with the Malaysian ladies clothing where we wear the top called 'baju' and the bottom sarong known as the 'kain.'

However, in order to know the Myanmar people better and to understand their cultures and traditions including their clothing or attires, first I must learn their language for purposes of interaction. Although, we may get information from books or any other reading materials, but it is always wise to get first hand information via face to face conversations. It is not only authentic, yet more meaningful when we acquired the knowledge with a personal touch or person to person relationship. 

Hence, I learn the Myanmar language from a teacher (Sayama' Pauline). With that basic knowledge, I was able to interact with some of the locals at the markets while buying the groceries or some basic necessities for my family. I was also able to communicate with the vendors at Bogyoke Market and negotiate some bargains over certain products such as souvenirs and silk materials to make the ingy and longyi. 

During my stay in Yangon, I also learn to wear the ingy and longyi, especially during thingyan or water festival which was held annually in the month of April. It is also their custom to put fresh flowers (the yellow padauk) on the ladies hair or buns as decorations which also give sweet fragrance to the hair. 

On one occasion, during an UNWA get-together, I was lucky to be named as one of the winners who wore the ingy and longyi just like the locals. For winning the prize, I must put on record the words of Big Thank You to my wonderful helpers - Saroja and Mumu who dressed me up with a lavender ingy and longyi. Also the little bun they creatively made and designed for me for that special function. To both of them, TQ once again and I hope to cross path with you someday :))

No comments:

Post a Comment