Friday 28 June 2013

Helpers

I vividly remember a quote which was uttered to me by one of my BFF:
"Every step forward that you take, no matter how small or insignificant you think it is ... is a leap towards a better you" and indeed, this little quote I said to Ellen, my helper.

Two years have passed, which means two years she has been with me, helping me with the house chores and looking after our little Gary's need when I wasn't at home. She is my helper, a petite Filipino lady with short yet sassy hair style named ER. Oh! How time flies, and she will soon leave us ...

Before ER works for us, she was a helper to an Arab family looking after a child since the baby girl was born until the little baby turns 5 years old. ER was truly passionate about her.  She also helps them with the house chores and cooking. She has two children in her homeland who are now in their late twenties and early thirties. She also has two grandchildren from her daughter whom she communicated very often. 

Just before the child and her family left for England, ER applied for a job and came for an interview to work as a helper in our home. She fits the requirement which we looked for but obviously she can't cook our foods although we come from the Far East :D It is because our foods are different. So, I have no choice, but to learn how to cook 'my foods' from basic. Yet, I'm thankful to ER because now I could cook some basic dishes although I'm far far away from being an expert ;( For other 'complicated dishes' the in house chef is still my RY!

But, with ER at home - she helps me  with the other house chores especially to help me in preparing the ingredients for cooking, cleaning, washing and ironing the daily wear. The office attires and all other fragile garments, I prefer to send them for professional laundry and dry clean. Once a week, she will help me to water the indoor plants. And, once in a while when we have guests, ER will prepare some refreshments with the help of Mr T to do the serving. 

After one year ER with us, I brought Gary home. It is because the big house which has eight bedrooms and an hexagon hall with only three persons staying in it is indeed very quiet. So, Gary being a playful and mischievous feline, certainly makes the house warm and cheerful with his antics. Also, ER is very fond of him :)

Now, two wonderful years have passed and ER has left us for another job and I truly feel the house is empty. But, being a compassionate lady, ER has arranged for another Filipino lady to come and work with us as her replacement. When we saw the fair lady, we instantly liked her and hoped that she could deliver the job diligently. 

Also a petite lady like ER, but with fairer complexion, her name is P. We were made known that her previous job relates to baby sitting, but she prefers to do housework for a change. So, I pray that she'll adapt with the new work pattern - namely cleaning, washing and ironing just like ER. Perhaps if she could cook simple foods for us, I'll be a lot happier :)

Today, I received a message from ER that she would like to visit me and Gary, also to 'teach P' the ways of handing the house chores which we are used to :)) Since P is new and still trying her best to adjust with the new surrounding, during this first two weeks @weekends on her off day ER will come to our home and show her the routine of doing the house chores according to our liking and comfortablity. Without any doubt, I am thankful to ER for her extended help to me.

Indeed, helpers come and go, but ER is an asset to who ever employs her. She fits the role of a helper - someone who gives assistance or support to her employer. She can also be trusted to look after my little Gary particularly when I had to leave him for some chores in my homeland. At night, Gary will happily stay with her ... And now, she missed Gary, too who will be celebrating his first birthday on 30th June!!!

To ER, I pray you're happy at your new place and my gratitude to you for being a good helper to me. As of P, welcome to our home and hope this home and the work suit you. All in all, to both my former helper ER and to the newly appointed helper P, Happy Working :)  

Gary with the feather duster which ER used to dust his 'kitty's corner' ... :D


No comments:

Post a Comment