Thursday 13 June 2013

Oh lantern, my wish soars with you ...

Every year, in the month of October, the sky of Yangon and perhaps many more places in Myanmar would be 'flooded' by huge and lighted lanterns. Since we were there for five wonderful years, it was also one of our family activities to light the lanterns and later let them soar the sky. Indeed, when we looked up on the grayish sky, it immediately had changed its colours to mandarin and crimson ;)) 

It was indeed, one of the spectacular sights which the Yangon-thu and my family looked forward to every year. It was called the Thadingyut Festival. Usually, my family and I lighted the candles and with the help of our helpers, we set free about ten huge lanterns, where each lantern was about four feet in height. With the help of the wind, the lanterns went up higher and higher into the sky. It soared beautifully and in my little heart, I usually made a silent wish and I hoped one of the lanterns would take my sincere wish to the loved ones.

In fact, starring at the lighted lanterns soaring the sky and quivering the night was a nostalgic feeling and experience to  me and my family. It also lent an uncanny beauty to the silvery full moon. And, during this season, many young lovers looked forward to tie their marriage knots and <3 is in the air :))

No comments:

Post a Comment