Friday 7 June 2013

DCM Wives Group Coffee Morning

When I decided to follow RY to his first posting to Kuwait, an oil rich nation, I knew that I had to play an important role as a diplomat's wife representing my beloved country.

Indeed, I was fortunate to undergo a Pre-Posting Course organized by WP through IDFR where all diplomats' spouses were taught and equipped with basic knowledge of public speaking, various ways of entertaining guests and most importantly grooming and table manners.  Alhamdulilah, since I was also a working lady in one of the public universities in my country, all the oratory and management skills which I acquired did help me in dispensing my role as a first timer being a DCM's wife.

During our posting period in any host countries, it is a common knowledge for all DCM spouses to organize coffee mornings or hi teas at their residences with a theme that reflect their countries. Before my turn to organize one, I had the opportunity to be invited to the other DCM wives' events. Among others was by the Japanese DCM's wife who taught us how to prepare sushi or 'sushi making' as well as a demonstration on how to wear a kimono. It was not only an interesting morning for all of us who attended the coffee morning, but certainly a fruitful and memorable, too.

With the knowledge that I had acquired, in one morning before summer season arrived, I organized a coffee morning for my colleagues in my Moorish styled home in Qurtuba District. The theme I chose was Malaysian Costumes, where I narrated to my guests about the various types of Malaysian apparels and from where they were originated.  The highlight of the event was 'The Various Ways of Wearing a Batik Sarong' where all my guests were able to practice wearing batik sarongs and to also keep them as momentous or souvenirs. Indeed, it was not only a fun event, but most importantly I was able to share and promote my beloved nation to all my guests - the DCM spouses!

Before the event ended, I invited all of them to taste the Malaysian cuisines and traditional desserts which include the famous nasi lemak and sambal ikan bilis with all its  condiments (boiled eggs, cut cucumbers and fried groundnuts with fried anchovies). I also added deep fried chickens and some beef rendang to complete the menu. As for desserts, my guests were served with karipap, buah Melaka, onde-onde and rambutan fruits which I bought in cans. 

All in all, my first DCM wives coffee morning at my Qurtuba home went well. Before they all left me after a sumptuous foodies and desserts, I also handed to my colleagues and guests some buah tangan consisting of the fragrantly Malaysian pot poori - the popular and sweet aromatic 'bunga rampai' in a special woven baskets as symbol of friendship between us in the DCM Wives Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment