Friday 21 June 2013

Dates' Season


The dates' season is here again ...It also  shows the scorching Summer Time is once more in its cycle! And, the air conditioner will be on full blast for 24/7! That means the electricity bill will soar higher  and higher, too. LOL :D

However, most of us here will never complain ... It is because the piling of dates which comes once a year during this summer time is very much awaited by us and more 'sweeter' this particular year since it coincides with the incoming holy month of Ramadhan :) So, the hot sun is very much needed for the dates to ripe.

While looking at the fresh dates which I have just received from our very thoughtful neighbors, my little heart brightens with full of 'kesyukuran' that Allah SWT grants and bless me with beautiful and hospitable friends. Then, my mind soars to my dear elderly mother in my hometown whom I truly know how much she loves fresh dates especially during Iftar and imsak' ... Oh, how I wish I could send some to her :(

Anyway, here in Muscat, apart from eating the dates raw, where upon it sometimes tastes like pure honey there are many desserts which are made of dates. Among others the most popular ones are the halwa, moist dates' cake dates' chocolate  and dates' pudding. All are yummy :))

Throughout my stay here, it is a very common gesture that when the Omanis welcome their guests to their homes or at functions, the sweet meat halwa will be served to their guests with special Omani coffee in a small dainty cup called Khawa. It is their tradition and I am very pleased to learn and emulate their hospitality and beautiful culture.

I also love the Omani halwa which looks like the Malaysian dodol which is made of glutinous flour, coconut milk and gula Melaka. The halwa's main ingredients are dates, starch, eggs, sugar, ghee, cardamom and rose water. But the rose water is usually brought in from a mountainous region called Jabal Akhdar. These ingredients are mixed in a specified proportion and cooked in a large pot called Al Mirjal for not less than two hours with continuous stirring. 

Indeed, once it is cooked it is best to eat while it is still hot! I had great time enjoying hot and delicious halwa when my better half and I were invited to a function in a guest house located in a serene palm garden in Samayil. Normally, I would only take a teaspoon of halwa but in this exceptional beautiful surrounding, I was able to finish 3 spoonful of honey like halwa! 

However, another way to experience the hot halwa - a person may go to Muscat Festival (Cultural and Heritage Site) which is held annually during Winter Season ;) But in most cases halwa is served at room temperature because it could last for months :)


(Note: Different types of Omani dates - the golden yellow and the ruby red!)

No comments:

Post a Comment