Saturday 15 June 2013

Between Two Cities

This is the back cover of my book, Myanmar - Seeing is Believing which was published in 2002 by IT Myanmar. The title of the poem was Between Two Cities.


Since my Yangon days, as a DS - I have the opportunity to reside in two other wonderful cities, namely the City of London and the City of Muscat.

London is a cosmopolitan city covered with snow in winter 
Muscat is surrounded by dunes and bronze deserts every year

London's weather is cold that I have to dress in leather and wool
Muscat is so hot that I wear sundresses to keep me fresh and cool

London provides the chance in summer that makes me a little tan
Muscat makes me feel elegance when I dressed up like Harem Al Sultan

London makes me walk and weave the streets that makes me fit and strong
Muscat gives me all the time to write since the weather outside is truly warm

In London, I stayed in an English cottage somewhere in a Jewish town
In Muscat, I lived on a hill in Qurum29 which is quiet from any sound 

In London, I had the honour to meet the Queen at Buckingham Palace
In Muscat,  I'm truly thrilled to shake hands with the Sultan in His Majesty's  Palace

In sum, both cities are very special to me for they provide not only the best places to live and surrounded by beautiful scenery and magnificient buildings, but most of all they provide  wonderful meaning of life to me by meeting hospitable local friends, fellow countrymen and colleagues from all over the world where we had the chance to interact, visit their homes and understand each others unique traditions and culture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment