Thursday 13 June 2013

Spotted Cheeks and Red Teeth

One must not be surprised that when they arrived in Myanmar, most of the hospitable greeters would greet them smiling with bright red teeth and their faces spread with three spots of thanakha on their foreheads and two cheeks. 

Indeed, that were common sights because most Myanmar people chew conya or betel leaves and its condiments (lime, areca nut, anise seeds and sometimes with fragments of spices). Thus, it is not surprising that their teeth is stained red because of the concoction of juices. But they strongly believe the juices from the betel can strengthen their teeth. At the same time, they opined since betel leaf has astringent action in the mouth, it also stimulates the flow of the saliva that aids in digestion.

As for the traditional make up thanakha, they also believe by constantly apply the thanakha generously on their faces and the entire both after their bath, their skin texture will improve and become smooth.  I was told that the thanakha paste also helped to cool their bodies and shield them from sunburns. The paste is obtained from a combination of water and barks of thanakha trees, which are easily obtainable or in abandons   in Myanmar.

At first, I was surprised and quite taken aback by these unique scenes, but later on I understood that it was part of their culture which I fully obliged and respect. In fact, on some occasions I also used the thanakha on my two cheeks and parts of my hands to keep me from the sunburn during summer season. This also reminds me of my late grandmother who used to apply the bedak sejuk which is made of rice floor as her night cream before she went to bed. 

However, I have yet to try or chew the conya! To this date, I am still not brave enough to stain my teeth red, although I used to apply scarlet lipstick ;))

No comments:

Post a Comment