Tuesday 29 October 2013

Voices of a HairStylist

There is a saying in my language rambut mahkota wanita or simply - hair is the crown of every woman. So, in order to beautify my 'crown' I went to the hair salon which I frequented and met BT my hair stylist. As usual, upon arrival the routine started with refreshing welcoming tea  before we discussed about the henna colour followed by trimming and styling. Anyway, that's not the point which I wished to rant or share here. Rather, what was raised casually for two hours while BT was busy applying the henna, washing, cutting, blow-drying and hair styling until the process is complete: The result > "Sweet New Hair Style and Younger Look!" said Mr Right. 

Anyway, to me the precious two hours was well spent hearing voices from the heart of a young hair stylist. It was liken to a mother-son conversations. Looking at his casual easy style with well groomed and bits of spiky hair reminded me of my son. Listening to his words brought back memories shared with my students. But hearing his voices from the heart about enlightening and meditations was lessons learnt which money could not buy! For a very young person in his mid 20s who has travelled to many places and make a living as an apprentice before becoming a self-made hair stylist and also able to appreciate life to the fullest was truly commendable. In my language sejuk perut Ibu mengandung kamu BT! In other words, his Mom is blessed to have a well groomed son such as him!

BT shared his passion about reading some inspiring, philosophical and motivational books during his day off such as on meditations and divine  teachings. On this, I shared with him the true story of a lawyer Robin S. Sharma who wrote an exceptionally inspiring book on true success and happiness The Monk who sold his Ferrari. Indeed, he responded that he had heard although he had not read it! He was also delightful to have two days off in a week which he mostly spent to cook and eat healthy foods, relaxing and meditating. Whenever he calls his Mom @StoneKnocker, she never fails to remind him to eat healthy foods and not the fast foodies - burgers, fried chicken and what nought! I uttered to  him, "That's very common from a Mom!" which made him laughed :D At the moment, he is also busy preparing himself for an advanced courses and the possibilities to further his studies in the West or Australia. 

Time flies so fast and by then my 'crown' was almost ready. During our conversation, most of the time I prefer to listen to the voices from his heart. In particular on meditations or 'mental discipline' and various techniques in promoting relaxation to our mind and body. He shared with me on how he started to turn to meditation  - the free feelings of letting go, clearing his minds from being bogged down with feelings of anxiety and at times depressions. He went on to express that all these required practice with clear heart and mind that resulted with "calming effect and directs awareness inward until pure awareness is achieved" which gladden me and I totally agreed.

I shared his enthusiasm and told about the goodness of the art of proper breathing - the 'hale in hale out' procedure which I learnt from a friend DS during my four years stay in London. Also, by performing a prayer which I normally practiced by waking up in the middle of the night after a few hours of good sleep called the Tahajud Prayer. It truly helped me in understanding the purpose of my creation and my divine relationship with my Creator as well as experiencing the peaceful feelings of an open mind to let go ...

All in all, towards the end of our 'mother-son' conversations we both concur on improving ourselves towards spiritual development. Happiness comes from happy  hearts. Most of the times we have to follow our passions in fulfilling our dreams. Sometimes we cannot get all that we want, but we have to appreciate with what we have achieved. Although material things are necessary in our lives, but we agreed to be moderate in everything we do. Also to remind ourselves that this worldly world is just temporary. By then, when I looked up at the mirror in the salon my hair do was ready and I have a new 'crown' which I know Mr Right would comment, "Nice work, Honey!"

Yours truly with New Look. Thank You BT for the hair style and most of all for sharing some philosophical outlook and voices of your heart. Also views on meditations which were not only refreshing but exceptionally beneficial to our minds and souls! To quote a popular author Paulo Coelho, your story was "a captivating story that teaches as it delights."

No comments:

Post a Comment