Thursday 31 October 2013

Turkish Delights

Who could resist Turkish Delights? It's "a family of confections based on gel of starch and sugar" (TQ Wiki). Also known as lokum and originated during Ottoman Empire. It was believed the delicacy was first made by a man named Bekir Effendi in 1776. I'm very fond of these delicacies along with Turkish Coffee Selamlique which my dear friend Mrs E used to send to our residence before she left for her home country after completed her tour of duty in the Sultanate. 

Both desserts and aromatic drinks were my 'companions' especially when I watched the enchanting and captivating Turkish TV Drama Muhtesem Yuzyill @Channel100. While watching this series, I fell in love not only with the beautiful scenes, elegant dresses which the actresses worn representing the era but on the life of Sultan Suleiman the Magnificient - well educated ruler, distinguished poet and a true blue jeweler and designer! Since then, I always dream to visit Tokapi Palace in Turkey or wish that one day, Mr Right will be posted there! Keep dreaming Mussy and I strongly believe there's no harm to dream :) Who knows? 

I liked listening to classical Guldur Gul or Rose Song and traditional Turkish music especially Selvi Boylum Al Yazmalim. The music reminded me of my late Abah who during his life time always tuned to this music. I was fortunate that a Turkish friend had downloaded this music for me. Big TQ Ms M! I met her at my home when the ALC Patrons organized a farewell lunch for Mrs E. Since then, I always tuned to the music and listen to them although I do not understand its meaning! But I loved the music, on which the rhythm was truly soothing to my ears and most of all it brought me nearer to my late Dad. The Turkish music was a 'delight' to my ears, heart and soul.

If all along I was only listening to the said  enchanting music via Youtube or MP3, but last night I was savouring my ears, heart and soul listening them through the expert hands and talented musicians @GrandHyatt. Wow! my dream to hear the music life was fulfilled! I was enjoying the Turkish desserts especially the lip smacking baklava and sarigi burma when the guests and I were serenaded with life performance from three talented musicians specially flown from Turkey! And they serenaded us with many heart rendering songs and one of them was Selvi Boylum Al Yazmalim meaning The Girl with Red Scarf which brought tears to my eyes! 

Straight away my mind soared to my late Abah and I made supplications for him with Al Fatihah.  I knew and could feel that he was looking down at me who was enjoying the music which was his favourite! It was indeed 'Turkish Delight' to my heart and soul listerning to them :)

Delightful performance to all hearts and souls all the way from Turkey :)
My mouth was enjoying the lip smacking baklava while my ears were serenaded by the Turkish music > Selvi Boylum Al Yazmalim full of passion and heart rendering. 

No comments:

Post a Comment