Monday 7 October 2013

Fascinating Sri Lanka

Sri Lanka, surely has her own beauty that captured the heart of visitors. I was lucky to be one of the chosen few to step into 'Sri Lanka' and experience it first hand!

Although I have not visited the evergreen nation per se, yet this morning I had the opportunity to experience Sri Lanka and its warm hospitality through Madam Sudarma in her Sri Lanka House@MSQ. 

A pose @SriLanka House. Truly serene and welcoming ...

The visit and 'experiencing fascinating Sri Lanka' was part of our AWG monthly activities in Muscat. What differs it with others was as if I was being 'transported' to Sri Lanka for two hours before I realized in actual fact that I wasn't there physically but all my heart and soul were there and truly mesmerized the beauty and the warm hospitality of the country :D

Our hostess Madam Sudarma was exceptionally a great organizer in making her visitors and colleagues felt at ease in her luxurious yet cosy and welcoming Sri Lankan home with a variety of tea, fresh fruit juices and lovely tit bits as welcome treat. While sipping and enjoying my fruity drinks, I felt like I am already in the lush Ceylonese tea country. 

Soon after we were invited to view the scenic beauty and picturesque of Sri Lanka. It was during this time that I felt like I was transported up to the top most 'Lion Mountain' in Sigiriya aka the Mountain of Remembrance. I was fascinated with the "red stone fortress and palace ruins" which caught my sight and breath ...
The 200 meters high Sigiriya rock. Magnificently awesome aerial view ... (Copy right google image)

While still admiring the scenic view of the exotic Sigiriya which was decorated with colorful frescoes, Sudarma called us for an afternoon Sri Lankan specialties. We started with delicious pumpkin soup. It was followed by an incredibly best menu prepared by our hostess including, steamed rice, briyani, chicken curry, spicy cuttle fish, daal curry and tandoori and lots of salads and vegetarian dishes. 

And the 'icing of the cake' lovely dishes and desserts was my favorite  wattalappam. It was a coconut custard pudding mainly made of coconut milk and jaggery. Surprisingly,  I later found out that this desert was historically believed to be of Malay origin and its popularity begun in 1900s. No wonder, I liked it very much! What more when I took it with fresh fruits and butter scotch sauce. Wow! I was hooked with the lovely 'sin and unstoppable' desserts. 

'Sinful indulgence dessert' which I cannot resist and once taken, I can't stop! 

As a final note, my greatest thanks to Madam Sudarma for the lovely 'retreat to Sri Lanka' and the 'delicious treat' of the Sri Lankan foodies. I can't forget the experience of being freely 'transported' to your lovely nation and savouring  the   lovely dishes which were spread on the table. The invitation to SriLanka home  was meaningful, fascinating and brought beautiful memories of you and your tireless hospitality to all AWG members. Once again, Thank You!!!

Me with the lovely hostess, talented daughter and other Sri Lanka ladies. TQ all for the warm hospitality  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment