Friday 11 October 2013

Tamarind Juice! Oh Tamarind Juice!

Koh! Koh! Koh!
And I wasn't only coughing badly but my throat  was painful each time I swallowed my saliva. I was having fever and sore throat. It has been two days. Through the mirror on the dressing table, when I checked my throat, it was inflamed - red! Also I saw white dots. Perhaps it was infected. I was also feeling sick, nausea, headache and a little dizzy. I needed some aspirins pretty badly! Immediately, I texted Mrs P to prepare a toast with cold milk. I liked the cold milk! It helped a little when I swallowed the food down. Then I gulped down two aspirins.

Before I decided to go to sleep after gulping the asprins, I remembered what my Mom always did for her children when we were coughing. She made warm tamarind juice with a pinch of salt and sugar for us to soothe the irritating throat. Quickly, I called Mrs P to make the juice for me. 

Perhaps my instruction wasn't clear to her and it was a first time I requested for her help to make such juice. Normally, I would just go down to the kitchen and do all the things myself. Since my head was a little dizzy, I do not want to mess myself with a fall and what nought! So, I just called her and briefly gave the instruction which she eventually followed. 

But, the outcome was not the tamarind juice which I desired. She used dried 'asam keping' or 'asam gelugor' instead of tamarind paste. When it was ready and I tasted the juice somehow it was so wrong or seemed not right! No sugary or salty taste. It was so 'Kelat' and instead of soothing my throat it was stinking me with bitter and sour taste :( I am feeling more sick. Ohhh I sigh Mrs P, Mrs P ...

Then I texted her with a much more clear instruction with step by step procedure:
1. Take out tamarind paste from the refrigerator.
2. Wash it in cold water and placed in a bowl.
3. Pour two glasses of hot water into the bowl.
4. Add two tea spoon sugar and pinch of salt.
5. Stir the mixture well.
6. Sieve the mixture. 
7. Juice is ready. 
8. Place the juice inside a mug.

Wallah ... The result was this :)
A mug of warm tamarind juice which truly soothed my throat. Finally, she got it right. TQ Mrs P for the Tamarind Juice ...

The tamarind juice may not cure my illness, but it does soothe my throat a little. So far, I have taken three mugs. So, I promised myself that I'll see a doctor tomorrow. I think I need some antibiotics for the throat infections. But, for now I'll make do with tamarind juice till tomorrow comes ...

No comments:

Post a Comment