Friday 11 October 2013

Craving 4Tosai ...

My mouth was craving for some Tosai - a fermented crepe or thin Indian pancake. It wasn't weekend. If weekend, perhaps I could plead and nag or rather 'drag' Mr Right to take me to Al Hooti for some Tosai. Worst still I could not find Tosai anymore in the place that we used to frequent @Idli.com :( 

Anyway, I blurted the sacred word in front of AA and SA while we were sipping ginger and lemon grass tea with fresh croissant @Chado. Upon hearing my craving, AA quickly said, "Why don't you both come to my house for Tosai brunch?" And she continued, "Mussy, you can also learn to make Tosai. I'll teach you the easiest and simplest way of Tosai Making!"

Wallah! Sweet words from the angel. Without much thinking, both of us agreed to accept AA's offer and 'rush' to AA's home for Tosai hunting. Since, it was weekday, I decided to bring for AA some curry puffs. I rang her door bell and there she was as always with her ever ready beautiful smiles and opened arms waiting for me and SA. 

After a little hug, we straight went to her kitchen and there they were - bowls of coriander chutney, coconut chutney and coconut sambal laid beautifully on the kitchen table patiently waiting for us to gulp them all. LOL! 

AA told us that she hasn't cooked the ahlu or fried potato and the Tosai because it has to be served hot. Also I wanted to learn how to make the two recipes from her. For ahlu she already boiled the potatoes, peeled and mashed them. Then in a frying pan, she put a little oil and fried some mustard seeds. After a quick fry, she added some dried canar dhall and continued frying. Very soon she added the sliced onions and fresh cut green chillies and continued to stir fry them. Once the aroma filled the kitchen room, she added the readied potato. Yes! The ahlu was ready ... :)

Indeed, I just can't wait to eat the ahlu with the Tosai and all the chutneys. My head is dreaming of this mouthwatering dish ... Hummmm

A popular dish from Southern India >Tosai with ahlu, chutneys and coconut sambal. Wow! Yummmy! TQ AA :)

Now, the Tosai Making ...
Since I always wanted an easy recipe and quick cooking method, AA bought a fresh ready mixed Tosai mixture from Lulu Hypermarkets. They are also available @Kimji and Muscat Bakery. So, I don't have to prepare the ingredients, grind the rice flour and leave it over night. Easy isn't it. TQ AA :)


She placed the ready mixture in a bowl. But, I was told that she needed to add about half tea spoon bicarbonate soda which was mixed earlier with some water and quickly added to the mixture. And of course a flat pan to fry the Tosai. That's all! 

Now, my friend AA is seen placing some batter on to a hot flat pan which was coated with thin film of oil. She is frying and spreading the batter evenly with the base of the ladle to form a Tosai for me and SA. Yeah!!!

AA happily demonstrated the Tosai Making. It looks simple isn't it. But I doubt, it'll be simple to me ... He He He

     The hot Tosai ready to be gulped!!!!

The cravings - Tosai as Brunch on a beautiful and meaningful Monday (picture copyright of Wikipedia)

No comments:

Post a Comment