Tuesday 1 October 2013

So close yet So far ...

Since my days as a DS in Kuwait three decades ago when I befriended one Lady Pak, I have always admired as well as intrigued with this South Korean friend of mine and her culture. Also her beauty, her gentleness and her simplicity but chic! 

Since she knew I liked to learn about their traditional dresses, so she showed and taught me to try her national costume hanbok. I love it simply because it was beautiful with bright, vibrant and bold colours or at times pastel peach but stunning that gave the wearer the cheerful feeling! Also I admired the sometimes intricate designs which were hand drawn or woven on it! They're absolutely dainty :)

Unlike our Baju Kurung or Kebaya which I am very proud of and could be worn at any time of the day and on any occasions by any women or girls, the hanbok is generally worn at semi formal and very special events such as during festivals, national day, weddings and funerals. Their ladies' everyday wardrobes are basically modern and more of foreign styled which comprised of skirts and blouses or dresses. Perhaps only the elderly women still wear the hanbok. 

I also learned to like one of their traditional side dishes called kimchi which is actually pickled vegetables with a variety of seasonings. From Lady Pak, we the DS in Kuwait learnt to do this dish. She demonstrated to us kimchi making which included cut cabbage, radish or daikon, scallions and a seasoned paste of red pepper, galic, ginger, sugar, sea salt, and some fish sauce. All these ingredients had to be mixed thoroughly with the paste until they were thoroughly coated and placed in a jar to be left for fermentation to take place! Sound so simple but I never get it right :( The result > I always prefer to go to a Korean Restaurant if I crave for kimchi :D

When I arrived in Muscat, I found that my colleague from South Korea is a music teacher in one of the prestigious universities in Seoul. Like the previous Lady Pak, this Madam SYL is also dainty, soft spoken and a very sweet looking person. When we met over her home cooked sumptuous Korean foodies especially the steamed white rice ssalbap eaten with seasoned beef bulgogi, the soft tofu stew soondubu jiggae and of course not to forget the spicy kimchi, we also talked about each others' culture and tradition as well as the hot topic viz a viz the K-Pop and the Korean dramas. 

Although I am not so much of a music person but I do like to listen to Korean music, also watched their movies and dramas. I told her that I have watched the funny but exceptionally entertaining Full House and the more passionate Winter Sonata. Indeed, she was delightful to know that I liked to view their dramas depicting their everyday life and the ever enchanting scenarios interwoven with the beautiful and spectacular scenery of the whole country. 

Before she left for Korea after her husband has completed his tour of duty here, Madam SYL took me and my friends to view two Korean movies at City Cinema My Mother, the Mermaid and Le Grand Chef. Both movies had simple plots but the impact to the viewers was truly fantastic and many eyes were welled with tears ... :( But, ultimately both had happy endings which eventually brought wide smiles to the audience! 

The first movie filmed a young woman Na-Young who was an office worker but always quarrals with her mother Yeon-Soon (a traditional freediver or haenyo). Her father Jin Kook is alive but seems like non existence and one day, he dissappeared! Na-Young went to her father's hometown to look for him and somehow she was transported back in time and saw her parents' courtship. She saw the rough life they went through and the heartbreaks which jolted her to the present time and made her really 'sober' and truly appreciated her mother and father :)

The second movie Le Grand Chef which ran for 114 minutes told us the story about rivalry of two chefs who were competing for the title of heir to the last Royal Chef of the Joseon Dynasty. I liked this movie very much partly due to meaningful family bonding, relationships between a dutiful grandson and his frail grandfather, the good and evil, the spectacular and sometimes funny scenes on cooking battles and of course the varieties of Korean foods which truly made me hungry LOL!

And since then, I began to watch more and more Korean movies from the Youtube including Musa: The Warrior which is an epic film full of adventure, tough life and courageous acts of a Korean peace delegation during their return journey to their home country through the inhospitable dunes of northern China. I also watched epic dramas The Frozen Flower and Sword and Flower. I enjoyed both dramas especially the martials arts portrayed at times of self defence. The melody in the music is also a work of art - extremely soothing and enchantingly full of passions to all hearts and ears.

Well, the impact to me after face to face and knowing some of the lovely Koreans here, tasted their foods, wearing their beautiful hanbok, understanding their culture and watching their dramas as well as  listening  to their soothing music when they performed at SQU or at Al Bustan Palace, it makes my heart grows fonder of the country and deep inside me, I said,"M, one of the places in the world which I would like to visit someday is Seoul! Insyallah ..." 

I always feel it's "so close yet so far ..." But, I must thank my Korean friends who had open the doors for me to know their beautiful and unique country although not 'yet' being there physically! Insyallah, one day - who knows with Allah will and grace, I will be able to set both my feet in Seoul. Wishful thinking M! For now, I better  get myself glued to the screen for some Korean movies and reminiscing the beauty of the country :D

From the film: My Mother, the Mermaid - TQ dear SYL for taking me to view this heart breaking movie :)

My friends and I with SYL before she leaves Muscat for Seoul in mid 2013. We are missing you :( but all us wish you well! 

A picture of me in hanbok taken in 1994 @Kuwait City. Big TQ to Lady Pak for the dress and the snap :D 
I pray you well and hope to cross path again someday ... Insyallah :)

No comments:

Post a Comment