Friday 29 November 2013

The Scarlet Letter

I onced read a book The Scarlet Letter written by Nathaniel Hawthorne. It was a romantic work of fiction set in a 17th century historical setting in Puritan Salem, Massachusetts. And yesterday, I was truly delightful to watch the 1995 movie adapted from the novel starring Demi Moore, Gary Oldman and Robert Duvall :D

While watching the movie, my mind quickly soared to my primary school days @ESK. It wasn't so much about the story of love, loyalty, vengeance and betrayal in the movie but the crucial red letter 'A' that was sewn to Hester Prynne's garment which she had to wear for others to see and form part of public humilation against her. Also it was a sign of shame which she had to carry every where she went for the act she did! 

Between 1960s -1970s in a co-ed primary school, some of my classmates would crack jokes to others by silently pasting scarlet letters or words to another student's back whom they 'antagonized' just for fun! Not all but most of the times the ever mischievous energetic group of boys over a very shy girl or a newcomer. Some of the words used were "Please, Kiss Me" or "I'm a Fool" or "I'm a Cry Baby :(". The poor shy student being funly 'bullied' normally did not know about the joke or he / she had no idea whatsoever that someone naughty had pasted such scarlet letters or red words on his / her backs quietly. 

Hence, when he or she walked and others saw 'The Scarlet Letter' they will make lots of fun against the poor chap or the truly upset girl! Those days, when I saw my young friends laughing at the terribly distraught students, my heart sank and felt sorry for all of them - both the intimidators and the ones being intimidated :( Perhaps it was amusing for some people. But, at that time they were very young and do not know the meaning of feelings! Sometimes, it was unbearable and the humiliation was too graved to the one being 'abused' or for him / her to bear the unbearable grieve! It will become his or her 'unseen' scar for life. They will become demoralized, lack of confidence and always see themselves as someone not worthy. In other words, the mentally 'abused' young students will face phycological problems of shame, despair and solitude in the future for they lack self esteem.  

However, if one would take it positively most of the time with full fun spirit and genuine joke the so called game during the innocence student days was quite tolerable :D For example the quite normal   gesture during April Fool Day. A person would stamp a Letter "I am Beautiful" or "Ask me to Sing. I'm a Good Singer!" or "I have talent!" at another person's back without he or she noticing it. The words used were generally positive instead of negative.  It's more of sporting spirits to make one tougher to face his / her future with a little bit of 'toughen up' exercise to make one's joy. This Scarlet Letter game on the other hand did give positive impact to the person who was 'bullied' positively. As happened to a friend of mine who became a good comedian apart from her permanent vocation as a full fledged lawyer!

But one must always remember that at all times while playing the game of Scarlet Letter never with the intention of abuse or putting down others! It's merely for fun with free spirit of enjoyment where we had a saying "All work with no play makes Jack a dull boy!" Especially for young children with young minds where they are full of energy and many ideas. They need to spread their energy on to something, so they may have game for fun but whatever game they administered, it must be well guarded and not to be detrimental on them and others :)

Thus, the movie The Scarlet Letter reminded me of my childhood friends and truly brought beautiful memories to my primary school days @ESK! 

The movie which brought back memories to my childhood days @ESK. It reminds me of my friends who were then mischievous and now in their fifties. Also, I came to know that some sweet friends have left us for the permanent world. But, to those friends who are still here, My Prayer that you're all in good health and May your life be blessed by His Almighty Allah SWT. Amin.

No comments:

Post a Comment