Sunday 10 November 2013

Learning Never Ends ...

Never cross my mind that I'll learn cooking ...
Especially in my golden age!

But in this hospital land nothing stops me from learning new things in life, be it to be more appreciative of what was given to me on daily basis or learning new things from people around me like today - cooking demonstration by a friend from Brunei about her nation's cuisines Pais Udang and Bingka Daging.

Aromatic Pais Udang wrapped in banana leaves which were plucked from our back garden in Qurum29. TQ Mr J for planting the tree, thus they came handy when we desperately needed them :))

This savory dish Bingka Daging which was made of flour and minced meat as its main ingredients was lips-smacking! I truly liked the simplicity shown by the 'chef' who demonstrated it to us especially to new learners like myself where the whole process in making the dish was simple and less time consuming. 

Yours truly with Hajjah Norsiah who taught and shared with us some recipes and useful tips of Brunei delicious foodies. Among others, to ensure less baking time, the mixture of the Bingka could be half-cooked first in a pot before being put to bake! Except one must not stop stirring the mixture or less it will become 'berkerak!' TQ'Chef' for the great tips :D

Also we could use other ingredients to replace the one which was taught. For example, if we are allergic to sea foodies such as udang or prawns for the pais, then we could replace it with fish, chicken or meat based upon our preference. That's truly awesome! Meaning the recipes were not rigid, instead exceptionally flexible and this made new learners like me and others wanted to learn more :D

All in All, I must thank Hajjah Norsiah who shared her recipes with me and other friends @Perwakilan Muscat. I learnt through observing and doing. As Benjamin Franklin said, "Tell Me and I Forget, Teach Me and I May Remember, Involve Me and I Learn." So, May the knowledge which I acquired today will go a long way - tomorrow and years to come. But most of all my sincere gratitude to Allah SWT who made our dreams of learning new things possible. Amin.

No comments:

Post a Comment