Saturday 9 November 2013

Jay's King Fish Curry

@Seeb Market this morning, we were looking for lobsters. There were very few but fresh and still alive at OR6 per kg or OR 2 per piece. Mr Right was reluctant to buy because the price last week for the same type of lobsters cost only 200 baiza per piece! 

So, we scouted for other sea foodies from one stall to another. I saw two large stingrays with white dots on their bodies and wondered who would cook and eat them. At another corner a group of men in their dish dasha was seen busy with bargaining session of various types of fish which unfortunately I don't know their names. But there were rows and rows of King Fish in most stalls which in my language they were known as ikan tenggiri. Perhaps with the cool season creeping in, it is also the season for King Fish! I don't know for certain but it was only my wild guess. I hoped my assumption was positive. LOL! Then, I saw Mr Right bought two medium  sized King Fish from a young fish monger and the price was reasonable. That's strengthened my assumption!

While walking and scouting at the many stalls in the fish market, I managed to get two bowls of clamps (6kg) at only OR2. I wanted to boil them with some stalks of lemon grass, slices of fresh tumeric, cut shallots and garlics with some drops of oyster sauce - a self-made recipe  which proven delicious when I cooked for Mr Right last week! :D When eating these clamps, it will be more tasteful to dip them into fresh cut chillies, onions and tomatoes  soaked in soya sauce. Hmmmm Yummy! Insyallah, I am planning to prepare and serve the dish to my friends when they come to learn bingka and pais udang from a Brunei Chef who will share and demonstrate the recipes   with us tomorrow at Rumah Malaysia. 

When we reached home and while Mr Right and I were in the kitchen cleaning the fishes, the door bell rang. There were Ms Y and Jay outside the door who came to assist me in arranging the tables and chairs for our cooking demonstration tomorrow. I was delightful to meet them. Very quickly we prepared the hall and re-arranged the setting to suit the event. We preferred the casual setting with more interactive environment. Once the arrangement was done, Mr Right requested me to learn from Jay her fish curry receipe which we had for dinner with the rewang group on the night before National Day celebration. Indeed, we liked Jay's King Fish Curry which was simple yet delicious! In no time, Jay was transformed to 'Master Chef' while I diligently learnt the processes and wrote down the receipe while Ms Y just looked on ...  :D

The unofficial receipe ... Not an accurate measurement but more of 'champak-champak' way of cooking which turned out to be an exceptionally delicious dish for us cooked by 'Master Chef' Jay. Hooray! And Happy Trial & Error Mushy :)

Ingredients:
1 medium sized King Fish
Cooking Oil - lots!
4 stalks of Curry leaves 
2 Pandan Leaves
3/4 bowl Babas Curry Powder > (to make curry paste with little water)
3/4 canned Coconut Milk 
2 inches fresh ginger - blend
4 Bombay Onions - blend
9 pieces garlic - blend
Little water (to blend onions)
1/3 small sieve Halba
1 tabsp Tamarind > juice
Ladies Fingers (optional)

Methods:
1. Heat 'lots' of oil in a pot on a stove. 
2. Add in the blended ingredients till oil comes out (naik minyak).
3. Add curry paste and stir well till 'naik minyak' :D
4. Add curry leaves and Halba.
5. Add tamarind juice and Stir.
6. Add Coconut Milk till curry cooked.
7. Add Pandan leaves.
8. Add fish to the curry gravy till it's cooked!
9. Add boiled ladies finger (optional).
10. Served hot with White Rice or Mama's Chocodok!

When Jay's King Fish Curry was ready, I told her to 'tapau' some for her family. The rest I served as part of our Lunch with hot White Rice, stir fried Sawi, some fried salt fish and improvised chicken satay with chilies and onions. When dinner time came, I re-heated the delicious fish curry over a very slow fire since Mr Right wished to have it with my Cokodok Ikan Bilis-Bawang! Indeed, it was a truly lip-smacking dinner because like a wind > Whoosh a bowl full of Cododok was empty in no time! And I smiled with happiness that we truly enjoyed the wonderful rezeki. Alhamdulilah and All Praise to Allah SWT for all the bounty and the lovely foodies on our table. Amin. Also Big TQ to Jay for sharing her receipe with me :))

A plate-full of Mama's Chocodok with Jay's King Fish Curry for Dinner!!! Yummy :-)
Jay's King Fish Curry for Lunch with Hot White Rice and other dishes. Truly Delicious!
Jay's King Fish Curry in the Making > Hot  on the Stove and The Beautiful Aroma filled the Qurum29 Kitchen! Just can't wait to taste it ....

No comments:

Post a Comment