Wednesday 24 July 2013

Iftar@Sabra

Today, I received an invitation for Iftar from an Omani friend Mrs H @PDOC. I truly look forward to meeting her and her family. We have been friends for sometime since I arrived in this beautiful city. And she has stayed in my country for five years following her husband's tour of duty in Bandar MS. 

While on the way to Mrs H's house, I thought of her and remembered the first time we met. She is a very sweet lady. I loved to hear her stories about her arrival to Bandar MS when she was full of tears to adjust her new  life in a land faraway from home. One of the bitter sweet memories of that little town that she vividly remembered was her experience in the local wet markets. She had difficulty to communicate with the locals. They thought that she was one of them not knowing that she wasn't! 

The locals there were not able to understand her language and whenever she spoke in English, they said that she was snobbish. The locals were unaware that she can't speak the local lingo. Of course she can't because she is an Arabian lady! So, she truly had a challenging time to adjust herself there.  Day by day she learned and adjusted to the local environment and of course she survived triumphly :) Nowadays, she can understand and speak some of the new found Bahasa :D

But, the interesting part was that she cried more and with heavy heart when she and her family were about to leave the little town after her husband had completed his tour of duty. LOL! She had fallen in love to that small town which had taught her the true meaning of life in a faraway land away from home. She understood the true meaning of friendship! Yeah, She truly missed her friends in Bandar MS and till today, without fail she still visits her friends annually! In fact, to some extent they are like her extended family :D

Anyway, after 20 minutes drive, I finally arrived at her beautiful villa  just before Iftar and were greeted by her and her friendly better half. Also by their sweet charming and well mannered children at the entrance hall. Indeed, I liked her children and while I shook hands with them, my heart soared to my own home in a faraway land. Her children reminds me of my own ;( Oh! I miss them all!

When I walked into the hall, I saw familiar faces. We hugged and I was truly happy to meet them all :) We were invited to have our break fast after the hearing of the Azan. There were wide spread of foods specially prepared by Mrs H. We started with dates, samosa and pakora with a wide range of both hot and cold drinks. I loved the pakora most and asked Mrs H for the recipe. Ever willingly she shared the ingredients with us which include chopped spinach with chick peas flour and several spices with a pinch of salt! Wow! That's sound easy, so I decided to try it one of these days for Mr Right! Hi Hi Hi :)) Insyallah my good intention will be fruitful. After a light iftar, we proceeded with our Maghrib prayer. 

Then, came the Big Iftar foodies on the tables waiting for us to eat them all! They were all home cooked cuisines prepared by Mrs H. Even Mr H was jokingly said to me that Mrs H kept feeding him so that he'd be seen as a fat guy and hence no one will ever put her eyes on him :D And all of us broke into laughter! Aren't they cute couple? Indeed, they're truly a loving couple with beautiful and blessed children. Alhamdulilah! 

Well, while putting the foodies into my plate, I managed to inquire Mrs H about the vast menu. There were harrisa porridge which looked like our Bubur Lambuk. Others were vegetable briyani rice with roast chicken. I liked the chicken which tasted like our rendang ayam where she added coconut milk to the dish! That was awesome. Then I had some lamb curry with lots of salads both French and Arabian fusion. 

Undoubtedly, Mrs H was a creative chef. And soon after, it was made known to me that she had conducted some cooking classes to her closed friends. Wow! I would love to learn cooking from her :)) Then, I joked with her that she had to be very very patient with me because if I were to learn cooking from her, it has to start from zero knowledge. Ha ha ha. But, the good intention is there, Insyallah! 

After the isyak prayer, we were served with a wide range of desserts ...
The ice cream khufti ... Rich & Yummy!!!

Not only they were delicious for our taste buds but they were beautifully presented for the eyes! I liked the khufti or ice cream where she added condensed milk in it. It was delicious and yummy. In my dessert plate were a variety of Mixed Sweets ranging from Zanzibari, Omani, Malaysian and Western desserts. Lots of bananas, jack fruits, strawberries and pistachios were used as part of the ingredients. Also condensed milk, coconut milk and sago. 

And among others desserts which I also liked was the apam like dessert which in this region it was known as mandazi. When I ate this dessert my mind and heart flown to my dear Mom @Mrs HRHR who used to make this dessert for her children when we were young. It was a simple dessert which was made of flour, yeast and sugar. Once ready, they looked like pancakes and when we ate them, they were not only yummy but truly filled our bellies. We usually ate them with hot black coffee. Oh! Mom, I really miss you and your foods ;(

My heartiest Big TQ to the  ever lovely couple >Mr & Mrs H for the lovely Iftar at your cosy and welcoming home-sweet-home. I not only enjoyed all the delicious meals, but most of all I cherished the beautiful bond we had together and the charming ukhwah between us and your family. May our lovely friendship grow strong day by day and May all of us receive His Almighty Allah SWT protection and blessing always. Amin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment