Friday 12 July 2013

Bubur Lambuk

Something special for RY ...
   Bubur Lambuk on 3rd Iftar ;) Yummy!!

Since I have already decided to cook for today's Iftar Bubur Lambuk, I quickly looked for the ingredients in the kitchen   immediately  after my Asar prayer. Alhamdulilah, the  ingredients were all there especially the meat and chicken had been thawed by my helper P. 

Then I sought P's assistance to chop some onions, garlic and lemon grass ;) I also placed neatly the other ingredients on a separate plate which I needed namely the four spices (kayu manis, bunga lawang, buah pelaga and cengkih) and a teaspoon of ground black pepper and anise seeds. Also one sup bunjut Adabi. All these spices are important not just to bring the aroma but the taste, too. Not forgetting a pinch of salt and a medium cup of coconut milk.  Also two small stalks of pandan leaves for the sweet scented aroma. 

Once all the ingredients had been sorted out, I boiled 2 small cups of Jasmine rice in the rice cooker marked congee or porridge. Then, I placed a big pot on the stove over a small fire and put a little cooking oil in it. Once it is hot, I fried the four spices and later sautéed the onions, garlic and lemon grass. Wow! The spicy smell was truly aromatic :D. Even P, my helper who was helping me for the first time liked it!

Quickly I added the meat followed by chicken into the pot. I sautéed them for a while before adding two big cups of water. Then I threw in the sup bunjut and stirred the 'stew' for about half an hour before I added the nutty ingredients namely the cashew nuts, ground nuts and almonds. That really looked delicious even for someone who was fasting :))

After about forty minutes cooking, I slowly added the three quarter cooked porridge into the pot and stirred them well. Then, I added the salt, ground black pepper and finely blended anise seeds. Huhuh!!! Indeed, the smells made the 'empty' stomach dancing. But, that was not all. I finally added the coconut milk and a stalk of tied pandan leaves into the pot. The look alone made me hungry :D  Hah Hah Hah and I knew, my better half would definitely loved my Bubur Lambuk!

Oh! How I wished all my children were here with me, to breakfast or having Iftar together as one big family :( But, indeed they are all grown up and working, also having and enjoying life of their own :)

Anyway, Alhamdulilah, after one solid hour cooking the porridge, it was ready to be served during Iftar time. However, I also prepared the garnish comprising of cut spring onions and deep fried shallot. These not only added delicious taste  to the Bubur Lambuk, but nice and appetizing presentation, too!  Indeed, I want to serve the best signature dish to my RY :)) Happy Iftar my dear and hope you enjoy my dish specially prepared for You ...

Still on the subject of Bubur Lambuk, as a DS in this hospitable land, last year I was interviewed by O'Observer and the Hi Magazine about this special dish which is one of the favorites and specialties  in my homeland in particular during the Holy month of Ramadan. I was truly happy to share our tradition and culture with them especially on universal subject like foodies. Quite similar to our bubur lambuk, over here they have harissa which is quite similar in texture but totally different in taste. Anyway, Alhamdulilah, I am very fortunate for the opportunity to be here and also to be able to learn about their tradition and culture :))

    In Hi Magazine ...
   In O'Observer ...

No comments:

Post a Comment