Wednesday 18 December 2013

Katibim: Abah's Music4MySoul

Katibim or Uskudara Giderken is a Turkish folk song that always linger in my mind reminding me of my late Abah. This song is one of his favorites. Sometimes, I hummed it quietly whenever I missed him knowing full well he was missing me too. My late Abah had left peacefully to meet and be with his Creator for already twenty-five years. To be exact he left all his loved ones on 20 December 1988.

A few hours ago, I had the opportunity to listen to this sacred song once again in a Concert organized by the Turkish Embassy @Royal Opera House Muscat. It was beautifully performed by the veterens from PSO -PresidentialSymphonyOrchestra (established since 1826) Ankara Wind Instrument Quintet. I was almost in tears when the quintet comprising of Aycan Sancar, the Director of PSO who played the flute and other members namely Sedat Civelek (Obeo), Atilla Sentin (Clarinet), Tahsin Arslan (Bassoon) and Bekir Camci (Horn) performed the show. I can't help myself form humming the music silently on the ROHM rooftop terrace under the full moon brightly shone over me!

When I reached home after the amazing show, I quickly browsed the website to find out more about how my late Dad knew this music when he had never been to any other country outside his own home sweet home and what more to Turkey? Within seconds I found the answer   which I had been searching for so so long. The Katibim tune appeared in a popular and evergreen Malay film Ali Baba Bujang Lapok  as  Alangkah Indah Di Waktu Pagi (A Beautiful Morning) lyrics as written by the late Tan Sri P. Ramlee in 1961, also the year my Mr Right was born! Oh ... What a coincidence.

I scrolled through the Turkish lyrics and delighted to find the English translation by Eva a half Turkish and half Persian Oriental dancer and teacher who lives in Ottawa via www.shira.net/music/lyrics/uskudara -gideriken.htm. Indeed, I was elated because it brought nostalgic feelings and memories of my late Abah. All along I was searching where did my Dad heard the tune of the folk song Katibim which means clerk or sometimes the scribe. The song told a story where a lady was traveling with her scribe to Uskudar, near Istanbul.

On further research I found the Katibim lyrics  as translated in English language posted by Cherry Bomb (fleurmach.com2012) who did the findings based on Nuri Halil Poyraz and Muzzafer Sarisozen:

On the way to Uskudar, it started raining 
My scribe wears a frock coat, its long skirt muddied

The scribe has woken up from sleep, his eyes are languid
The scribe is mine, and I'm his, hands will  intertwined
It looks so lovely on my scribe, that starched shirt of his 

On the way to Uskudar, I found a handkerchief
And I filled the handkerchief with lokum (Turkish Delight Candy)

When I was looking for my scribe, I found him next to me
The scribe is mine and I'm his; what was it to others?
It looks so lovely on my scribe, that starch shirt of his ...

The melodic song Alangkah Indahnya Di Waktu Pagi which was sang by the late Primadona Normadiah in the Malay movie depicted a simple kampong life about two brothers Ali Baba and his 'stingy' brother Kassim Baba somewhere in an 'Arabian Land' and mostly humorous. The lyrics were:

Solo:
Alangkah indah di waktu pagi
Burung bersiul bernyanyi-nyanyi

Chorus:
Alangkah indah di waktu pagi
Burung bersiul bernyanyi-nyanyi

Solo:
Terbang bebas di angkasa tinggi
Hidup bersenang hati
Chorus: (same)

Solo:
Tidak seperti burung di sangkar
Hatinya sedih hidupnya sukar
Chorus: (same)

Solo:
Makan di beri minum di sukat
Terkurung terikat
Chorus: (same)

The Malay movie which I 'suspected' my late Abah had viewed in 1961 staring the Malay artists including the late Tan Sri P. Ramlee, late S.Samsuddin, late Normadiah, and joker Aziz Satar as well as featuring the ever beauty Sarimah! In this movie also the enchanting Turkish tune of Katibim was played and sang by Normadiah that 'paralysed' my heart missing my late Abah. Al Fatihah to you, my Abah. You're always in my thoughts and prayers :)

A photo snapped by Mr Right in ROHM just after the enchanting show by the Quintet from PSO, Turkey that brought back nostalgic feelings to my late Abah! It also meant that he had left me for already a quarter century, yet his endless love lives with me forever ... TQ Abah!

No comments:

Post a Comment