Friday 24 January 2014

FluffY 4 M ...

I received this cutie whitish FluffY from Mr Right. It's from Kyrgyzstan. Big TQ Dear! 

                     My FluffY ... 

It was on a weekend night. Mr Right took me to Muscat Festival which was held at Ameerat Park, about 20 minutes drive from our home in Qurum29. The traffic was smooth although many cars were heading the same direction as us. When we arrived at the festival ground, the parking lot was almost full with all types of vehicles from 4x4 to sporty flashy wheelers, yet we were very lucky since our car bore the CD plate, so we were allowed to park our silvery BeeMer right  in front of the main entrance. TQ Mr ROP :-D 

Once we entered the gate, we saw many people both locals and the expats were enjoying the fun-fair especially the 'Merry Band' who were in their colorful costumes and magical performances. We went round the four corners of the field and had a long peep at the International Cultural and Heritage site. Many nations took part in exhibiting their cultural products namely Thailand, Vietnam and lndia from the Asian region. Also Lebanon and some African artists for the paintings and traditional crafts. For this year Malaysia did not take part in cultural and heritage section unlike previous years. But, there is a cafe which promotes some Asian-like foodies. 

Well, back to the international cultural exhibition, I always look forward to view exhibits and products from Europe and Central Asia region. This year many countries such as Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan  and Kazakhstan took part in promoting their intricate handicrafts as well as colorful products which truly captured the customers eyes. I fell in love with their finesse arts and intricate softy handiwork. Hence, at one of their booths, Mr Right bought FluffY for me as remembrance of our night out to Muscat Festival. Also, I was taken to view a unique yurt where the older generation of Kyrgyz people once used to live in it during their nomadic life! Simply, it is a portable bent dwelling structure traditionally used by the nomads in the steppes in Central Asia as their homes. I managed to speak with the representative and from him I had a good picture of the country. Truly the yurt which was covered by sheep wool felt was awesome and the ambience inside it was warmth and cozy. In fact, in passing I was saying to Mr Right that perhaps one day with Allah SWT will and grace, to visit the place or better still if we could be posted there! Wishful thinking Mussy. Well, but who knows?

After the fruitful tour of Central Asia crafty corners, we went to the northern African site and visited the Moroccan and Tunisian Craft' Booths. I quite like the colorful costumes but most of all I admired its traditional mosaic and paintings. Touring these captivating cultural corners - it was as if I was transported to the hustle and bustle of the nations. Really enchanting! I also toured the Norwegian booths and saw intricate silver and glass artwork by a talented lady designer. How I wish to have a piece of them, yet too costly for me. But, all in all, the exhibitions of the cultural and heritage products from various nations at the month long festival was an eye opener for me since for now I have no opportunity yet to visit some countries such as those in Central Asia and Northern Africa. So to be 'virtually transported' while surrounded by their lovely and intricate arts was good enough for the time being. LOL!

Well, we also took the opportunity to have our dinner at CM stall. There were spread of home sweet home cuisines from nasi lemak to mee mamak and yummy desserts such as the famous ABC and kuih seri muka. Also burgers and interestingly most of the ingredients for the foodies were imported as to keep the authenticity. We were spoilt for choice. Yet, I chose char kway teow with teh tarik while enjoying the fantastical multicoloured laser show! For three consecutive years I have noticed that the LaserShow was everyone's favorite be they adult or young! Truly the show created dazzling display of neon laser lights featuring graphics and fireworks accompanied by soothing Arabic music. It was extremely a spectacular sight to our eyes and exceptionally soothing to our ears! Well, not only this show that captured or attracted the visitors. At one of the pavilions, there was Bollywood Show with dancers in their vibrant outfits and energetic movements with loud music. It was truly a superhit to the public with many followers. And we were told in other nights there'll be more cultural performances from other nations, too such as Sindbad World Show and European Carnival. So, I'd better keep that info in my 'memory' digital diary.

After that we walked hand-in-hand under the thousands of bright stars towards the Omani Heritage Village and saw the 'days' before the modern Oman. Among others, we were narrated about the Falaj irrigation system and I saw how mud bricks were made. Then, we went to the foodies section and stopped to taste the Omani rukhal bread. It was a thin round bread originally baked over a fire made from palm leaves. Wow! Delicious when I ate them with pure honey! Still feeling not enough of Omani know how, I walked along the shades and saw a man quietly weaving beautiful baskets from palm fronds.  I liked his patience. Soon after, I walked toward some ladies who were busy weaving colourful rugs. They were woven in patterns of brown and white or natural wool or the more colourful red and black! I found out later that the red thread was dyed with madder, a rich coloring well known from India. Nowadays, the weaving activities had become scarce but with the Muscat Festival event held annually, this part of Omani culture which was passed on from generation to generation is beautifully preserved. 

Well, I'm truly thankful that all the visits to the various nations' traditional craft booths and the Omani sites during Muscat Festival 2014 did provide me valuable insight, knowledge and greater perspective of other people's home sweet home as well as their wonderful cultures and traditions. Indeed, I had good memories of them. And, while walking back to our awaiting BeeMer and clutching my FluffY in one hand and a bag of pinky candy floss in another, my mind soared to my late Dad who used to take me to visit museums and exhibitions when I was a little girl. Among others he said: "Lil' M, to know and to understand your friend is to know and appreciate your friend's cultures and traditions." TQ Abah for the words and wisdoms.  

Dazzling & Colorful backdrop for us to enjoy and mesmerize ...
Lots to Watch! Awesome yurt and interesting activities throughout the month long festival :D
Enchanting & Beautiful sights @Muscat Festival that sooth our eyes ...

No comments:

Post a Comment