Saturday 24 May 2014

Memorable Weekends @Duqm - 2

The wonderful journey and moments of enjoyment at Duqm continued much more after Mr Right and I reached the 5* Crowne Plaza Hotel. Upon arrival at the lounge, we were warmly welcomed by the hotel staff who soon served us with truly cool drinks to quench our thirst though in the coach we were already served with bottled drinks. Thank You to our great host MOFA and the Duqm Crowne Plaza management team for their ever warm welcoming hospitality! 

Some of our colleagues took the opportunity to scout the hotel green grounds while the others relaxed on the various seats available for guests while waiting for the room keys and handling of our luggage by the porters. At the same time most of us still could not stop from sharing and comparing notes about our experience of flying 1hr 20mins in the Charlie! It was also once in a life time experience for many of us especially the DS like me. Hence, I am truly Thankful and Blessed for the opportunity. And, most of all my gratitude goes to my Mr Right who insisted that I should join the trip. 

After we received our individual room keys, we parted and headed to our rooms for a short rest. But we told to come down for lunch at 1noon, and later to be ready by 3pm for an evening visit to Duqm Port. Well, once I reached the assigned room, I felt blissful with its beautiful deco and lay out. I admired its grand bed and comfy beddings. Also, a basket full of fresh crunchy fruits were waiting to be consumed. 

A pleasant surprise of Omani sovenir was also neatly laid on the table for us to take home in a form of picture frame comprised of the ever symbolic dagger the Kanjar along with a beautiful card "Welcome to Duqm." And, overlooking the balcony I saw a scenic scenery which was facing the spread green palm garden and the wide blue ocean! Oh! Life there was exceptionally tranquil and blissful on that beautiful afternoon. The scenic view becomes more spectacular in particular at night with the full moon above our heads during Dinner Time, and for that I Thank Al Mighty Allah SWT for the happy hours and minutes spent with Mr Right in this blessed land. Amin.


But before the night came where we were invited to a formal dinner hosted by the Deputy COP of MOFA, we were invited to a guided tour to Duqm Port which was not far from the hotel which we stay. For that occasion, I decided to wear a much more comfortable attire a maroon top with a blue pants and a matching comfortable shoes since we were told that we might be taken for a walk to view the dry dock and later the port. 

The journey from the hotel to Duqm Port only took us less than half an hour, but along the road we witnessed the development of Duqm as an industrial city with many buildings being built. In fact, I was made to understand that the Oman Tourism Development Company is striving to increase tourism into the 'oil town' which I truly feel was a wonderful move.

When we finally arrived at the port, we were once again given a VVIP treatment by the Organisers. Refreshments were served with lots of canapés, savoury desserts and delicious cookies as well as many different types of mouth-watering cakes apart from coffee and tea just after a short but informative, educational and useful presentation about Duqm Port by its Dutchman Commercial Director, Reggy Vemeulen. 

More information about Duqm Port, we were informed that it has "undergone development" and a ship building facility to facilitate the port had already been built. In fact, Jan De Nul Group was entrusted to develop the area in particular to improve the breakwaters and quay wells. Referring to the performance of the port in handling cargos, Mr Vermeulen narrated that the port has handled almost a hundred cargo ships since it commenced early operations, which was truly impressive. 

While touring the Duqm Port, I was fascinated by the views of it which was ultra modern.  It was equipped with a Ship Repair Yard and Dry Dock Facility, which is first of its kind in Oman. From the short presentation by its Director, the Dry Dock was operated and managed by the Port of Duqm Company, S.O.A.C. And, it's main aim is to be a strategic commercial port on the Arabian Sea. 

Throughout my tour to the Port area, not only the buildings and a number of VLCC caught my eyes, but most of all as the sun goes down, the sights of crimson intertwined with mandarin coloured sunsets was feastful to my Chinese eyes which in one sentence connotes 'spectacular'! This part of my first day stay in Duqm was enchanting and truly memorable. Pictures which I snapped on that day spoke a thousand words :D

Briefing session by the Port Authority and Management

Walkabout along the Duqm Port with Mr Reggy Vermeulen and a snap with Mr Right for remembrance!

A VLCC in one of the dry docks waited to be repaired ...

When the sun goes down, my heart beats faster yet tranquil ...

After more than two hours exploring the Duqm Port and visiting its dry dock, I looked forward to an eventful dinner back at Crowne Plaza Hotel. Since the weather was cool at night, the dinner was held outside under a bright moonlight and with lots of brightly decorated lamp posts and sea of candle lights that made the dinner area truly a spectacular scene for the eyes! Oh! The spread of foods both western and middle eastern cuisines prepared by the Chef were exceptionally delicious and definitely fulfilled my hungry belly. The cool breeze from the sea also added to the good appetite. Indeed, I ate more than the usual days for an evening meal yet, I never regretted! I walked back to my room with full stomach and heavy eyes after greeting good night to my colleagues who were in the same situation as me! Indeed, we all had a great day together, though hectic but full of fun and laughter. 

Till today, I could still picture the fantastic and spectacular sights of both Duqm Port and the welcoming Crown Plaza garden which were feast to my  eyes and kept lingering on my mind. Yeah! I was mesmerized and amazed by Duqm's natural beauty. 

A feeling of 'paradise' surrounded by enchanting lights :D

No comments:

Post a Comment