Saturday 24 May 2014

Memorable Weekends @Duqm - 1

In a month's time, both Mr Right and I will be heading home-sweet-home after seven years abroad. We truly looking forward to set foot again in MotherLand. We also shall take home with us memorable memories of our lives staying in Muscat for the past three years since our arrival in May 2011. And, one of the beautiful memories was a 'paradise feeling' of a weekend stay in Duqm! It was once a small fishing settlement of Janubah tribe in Oman, but now has turned into an industrial oil town with a notable port. 


It all started in early April this year when I was visiting my children and attending my niece Wedding in Shah Alam, when my better half called me late one night and said, "We (all Head of Missions) received an invitation by MOFA to visit Duqm!" And, my spontaneous reply was "When? And How?" Immediately Mr Right responded, "Darling, in two days time and via Charlie! Do you want to join?" At first, I was skeptical to change my ticket and wasn't really interested to join the all-paid-for familiarization tour. Yet, on second thought, I quickly replied to him that I'll try my best to get my flight ticket from KL to Muscat changed. If Oman Air allowed it without any extra charges, I will definitely join him. Just give me till morning time for me to sort the matter out and I will give him the thumb's up! Alhamdulilah, when I contacted Oman Air, they have no problem at all to change the ticket and without much hassle they quickly emailed me with the new ticket! Thanks to the virtual world where most things could be done online :D

So, I boarded the plane back to Muscat and was happily received by Mr Right at MIA arrival lounge. The welcoming smile and quick kiss showed that he was very pleased that I was finally home to accompany him on the Duqm trip! It was on late Wednesday evening. And, the flight to Duqm in a military Charlie was to take off on the very next morning at 10.10am, but we had to assemble in the airport by 9am. Hence, I had no time to think of jet lagged! Instead, I was truly excited 'dreaming' to go on board the military plane. A First to me! And, there went my sleepless night with a definitely bright grin ...

The next morning, without much sleep or just 'tidor-tidor ayam' style, I woke up at dawn and was ready for the exciting trip. Soon both of us were ferried in the official car to the Military Airport and was warmly welcomed by the Deputy COP of MOFA and other officials. Also, I was truly delighted to once again see the happy faces of my husband's colleagues and their ever sporting and welcoming spouses who had missed my presence in Muscat although I only went home for just two weeks! But, it seemed like I had been home for ages. After all the friendly greetings and huggings, we were ushered into the huge beautiful hall by ever welcoming Omani lady officers where we were soon served with the Omani coffee and halwa. It was a warm welcoming showered upon us the usual Omani hospitality, which I truly admired and respected! 

Just before we boarded the Charlie at 10.10am sharp, the lady officers came to us and informed that there's no 'toilet facilities' inside the plane. Since the flight shall take approximately 1hr 20mins, hence it was advisable to ease ourselves before we boarded the plane. Also, the journey from Duqm Airport to Crowne Plaza where we gonna stay for the weekend will take another 45mins ride by bus, I told myself that I should not take any chance of 'self-accident' or any untoward incidence inside the plane. So do my other friends and their spouses. 

Soon it was time for us to board the huge 'cheloreng' Charlie which has four fans with a black spot dolphin nose and two big engines that could accommodate about hundred passengers - we, the diplomats and spouses plus our host, the Organiser, the Security Personnels and Officers from MOFA. When I first saw the 'Charlie' on the Tarmac I was truly excited and feeling  'Jakun'! But, Mr Right was exceptionally cool for he had been inside Charlie and had good ride in it several times. Anyway, he felt excited for me and could not stop from snapping my pictures using both the iPhone and iPad! Indeed, I thank you, my Mr Right. You always know how to make me happy and put grins on my face :)


Mr Right & I on our way to 5* Memorable Trip in Duqm <(•^•)>

Inside the flight, all of us who were mostly first timers could not help ourselves from feeling excited. We kept snapping pictures of ourselves using digital gadgets and mobile phones the ever popular iPhones, iPads and other Tablets. Some were feeling afraid since the seating set up wasn't like normal plane and had to cling on their spouses arms although I believed we were all fully strapped with strong metal seat belts! After all the excitements intertwined with anxieties, coupled with high humidity inside the Charlie, most of us fell into deep sleep before we finally arrived our intended destination - the Duqm Airport! When the plane landed, we found ourselves - Oh! Wow! We were in the middle of the desert with no sign of other buildings except the hangar for the planes! 

But, the ever ready Organisers had made available two comfortable 5* Coaches for all of us to be ferried to our ever beautiful 5* Crowne Plaza Hotel which was about 56km from the airport. And, just after I boarded the cozy coach, I was feeling a little uneasy because I badly needed the 'washroom' yet I had to patiently wait for another 45minutes journey by road till I finally reached the final destination! Oh! Boy :D. What a long wait where I have to savour the emptiness of both sides of the well tarred road. Yet, I felt truly elated when I saw the bold print 'Crowne Plaza Hotel' and quickly took the opportunity to click a picture of it from inside the moving cozy coach! 


Aghh ... Feeling 'lega' and blessed surrounded by fresh air from the palm garden and truly cool swimming pool facing the true blue Indian Ocean!

No comments:

Post a Comment